Quick Clicks
What's New
Thanksgiving hours for Veridian branches
Learn more...

Veridian is getting a new look!
Learn more...

Traveling? Let us know so your credit and debit cards stay active.
Learn more...

Veridian Community Events.
Learn more...

Do you have health insurance?
Learn more...

Applying for an ITIN with Veridian
ITIN stands for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. An ITIN is issued by the IRS to people who are not eligible for a Social Security Number. An ITIN can be used to open interest-bearing accounts, apply for loans, and for tax processing.

What is an ITIN?
An ITIN is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit, for example: 9XX-7X-XXXX. Unless they meet an exception, individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN.

Do I need an ITIN?
If you do not have a Social Security Number and are not eligible to obtain one, but you would like to open an interest-bearing account, apply for a loan, or you need a federal tax identification number to file a federal income tax return, you will need to apply for an ITIN.

Applying for an ITIN with Veridian
If you are applying for an ITIN, Veridian Credit Union can help you complete the needed Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. The forms are also available in English and Spanish at IRS offices or in a community center near you. In order to apply for an ITIN, you will need two types of identification that show your name and photograph. Below is a list of acceptable documents:

  • Passport - If a passport is presented, it is not necessary to show other identification
  • National identification card including matricula consular card (must show photo, name, current address, date of birth, and expiration date)
  • U.S. driver's license
  • Civil birth certificate (required for dependents under 18 years of age)
  • Foreign driver's license
  • U.S. state identification card
  • Foreign voter's registration card
  • U.S. military identification card
  • Foreign military identification card
  • Visa
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo identification

You can visit one of the following branches to apply for an ITIN:

Ankeny and Des Moines

Waterloo and Cedar Falls

Cedar Rapids and Iowa City